My Trip in an American Airlines 737 Cockpit
I was able to fulfill a lifelong dream of visiting the cockpit of a commercial aircraft (737-800) thanks to the crew of American Airlines 2396 on February 9, 2018.
I would like to thank the crew for accepting my request! Here are some things I think helped my chances:
- Ask to visit after landing, not before take off. The crew is busy configuring the plane before takeoff and don’t want to be bugged.
- Ask on flights where you know the aircraft is finished for the day, i.e. not flying any more segments.
- Sitting in first class may help with the request, see #5.
- Be polite and realize they are doing you a favor.
- Ask the head flight attendant to ask on your behalf.
The cherry on the top of the sundae was the first officer who gave me his cap to wear (not keep) and took the photos.